Thursday 16 August 2012

The Curious Incident...

of the Dog in the Nighttime. 
A play based on the novel by Mark Haddon.


Tickets are sold out, but for information about cinema screenings of this click here.  

And whilst I'm spreading the love for The National Theatre, apply for a free Theatre Entry pass here , entitling you to tickets for only £5.
You're welcome ;) 



Over the past few months, I seem to have developed a love for the theatre. Particularly, The National Theatre in South Bank, London.

Last week, my friend and I went to see 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.' I was excited about this for 2 reasons; firstly, I remember reading the book and finding it fascinating.

Secondly, Una Stubbs.

Or as I like to call her, Miss Bat. 
(Any other The Worst Witch fans?!) My friend was equally as excited, as she knows her as Mrs Hudson, Sherlock's landlady. 
As you can imagine, there was a lot of excitement between us both, aimed at a sweet, tiny 75 year old lady...having said that, she proved that age is just a number she was just as energetic as the younger cast members. 

Tree-branching... 

This play was in a very intimate 'theatre in the round' setting, and somehow we blagged front row seats. 
As the main character is portrayed as having some form of (possibly) asperges syndrome, the entire staging mirrored this; with the use of labels for various props placed in front of the audience, the use of chalk to explain thoughts and emotions (mimicking aspects of the book) and the overall use of lighting, music and effects. 


I'm not the best at reviewing things, so I'll try and keep this short but sweet.
Every single actor within this perfectly suited their characters, this was definitely an incredibly talented cast; including not only Una Stubbs, but also Niamh Cusack from Heartbeat ;) (That sounds like sarcasm...it isn't!) 
I found myself caught up in the life of the protagonist in this play, Charlie, portrayed by Luke Treadaway. A teenager who, whilst seems to make life difficult for others, hasn't been dealt with the best of life himself. As annoying as he may have been at times, he was portrayed in such a way that you couldn't help but soak up his vulnerability and confusion.
There were moments that felt a little too uncomfortable to watch, moments that made me laugh and moments that made me want to jump into the middle so I could hug everyone and let them know that everything will be okay! Everything was so close it felt as though I had the power to change the course of the story. (I didn't quite fancy getting kicked out though, so I refrained.) 

I would definitely recommend you see this if you get the opportunity to...and maybe read the book while you're thinking about it ;) 





No comments:

Post a Comment